Old Chiang Mai is the original walled city founded in 1296 by King Mengrai of Lanna and his two allies, King Ramkamhaeng of Sukhothai and King Ngam Muang of Payao – the Three Kings. Although the moat remains, most of the original defensive wall has disappeared. Only the bastions at the four corners and a gate on each of the four sides of the square perimeter have been maintained.
Chiang Mai Gate is the southern entrance to Old Chiang Mai. People once passed through here to travel south to Lamphun. The gate was rebuilt in the early 1800s, but it was only between 1966 and 1969 that the gate was fully reconstructed. Beside it is a plaza where clothing vendors set up during the day. At night, they are replaced by tables and street food carts. Across the street, is the Chiang Mai Gate Market. (Brian K. Smith photo.)
Further recommended resources: